Students in the Health Sciences Schools (Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, and Pharmacy and Health Professions) may be required to take a drug test if mandated by the clinical training site. Any student who is required to take a drug test in this instance will sign a release authorizing that the results of the drug test be shared with the Health Science School in which he or she is enrolled.
In addition to being required to take a drug test prior to participating in clinical training, students in the Health Sciences Schools may be asked to take a drug or alcohol test under school specific guidelines set forth in the school’s handbook or policies, or if there is a reasonable suspicion that the student is impaired. The school may designate specific testing for certain drugs or alcohol. Any student who is required to take a drug or alcohol test in this instance will sign a release authorizing that the results of the test be shared with the Health Science School in which he or she is enrolled.
In any case where a drug or alcohol test is performed, if the test has positive results:
- The student will be immediately removed from all patient care, subject to section b below.
- If the student is able to present satisfactory evidence of the reason for the positive result to the course instructor, the clinical education coordinator, or other designated member of the School’s administration, the course instructor or other designated School official may permit the student to continue to have patient care responsibilities while the matter is being considered by the committee described in section d below. (In cases where the test is performed before a student is permitted to begin an off-site clinical training activity, the clinical site, not the School, will make the decision as to whether the student may participate in the clinical training).
- If the test was performed prior to the student’s participation in clinical training, as described in section 1 above, then the student may request that the same sample be retested at a certified lab of their choice. If the student chooses to seek retesting, he or she must authorize the certified lab to send the results of the retesting directly to the school. The costs for any retesting will be the student’s responsibility. The student must make any request for retesting within three (3) business days of being notified of the positive test result.
- If the test was performed pursuant to paragraph 2 above, or if the student does not request that the results be re-tested, or if the results remain positive after the specimen is retested, the issue will be referred to an internal committee within the Health Sciences School in which the student is enrolled. The internal committee will be charged with the responsibility to assess and recommend action in cases involving students and drug or alcohol usage. The recommendations may include a variety and level of assistance and/or sanctions, up to and including dismissal from the school.
- The committee will present its recommendation and findings to the Dean of the School for final approval and action. The Dean’s decision is final.
It is the intent of the Health Sciences Schools that this policy, which applies to all of the Health Sciences Schools, and any policy adopted by the school in which the student is enrolled, should both apply to any situation involving a student and a drug or alcohol test. However, if in any case, the application of the two policies gives rise to a conflict, the policy adopted by the school in which the student is enrolled will take precedence.
A student may be dismissed from the School for failure to submit to testing if he/she is requested to submit to a test for any of the reasons listed in section 1 or 2 above. In the event a student refuses to submit to testing, the matter will be referred to the internal committee within the Health Sciences School in which the student is enrolled, which will assess the situation and recommend action to the Dean of the School. The Dean’s decision is final.
The Health Sciences Schools reserve the right to modify, amend or terminate this policy at any time.