5.1 A student’s scholarship rating is reported with letter grades, and a student’s academic standing is reported with grade point averages computed on a 4.3 scale as follows:
|Grade points for each credit hour|
(a) excused extension of time to submit seminar paper when due;
(b) excused absence from an examination
5.2 AF, XF, and UN have a point value of 0. SA does not have a point value for purposes of computing a student’s academic average.
5.3 Academic honors are awarded as follows:
- To graduate Cum Laude, a student must be within the top 25% of the graduating class and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0;
- To graduate Magna Cum Laude, a student must be within the top 10% of the graduating class and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5; and
- To graduate Summa Cum Laude, a student must be within the top 2% of the graduating class and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.9.
Notation of academic honors is based upon a student’s cumulative grade point average including the student’s final semester. Notation of honors at hooding and commencement are provisional pending finalization of the student’s grades.
5.4 Students receiving a Law Degree from Creighton University but who have completed one or two semesters at another law school shall be eligible to graduate with honors on the following basis only:
- The grades earned for the work completed at the other law school would have placed the student in the upper 20% of the appropriate class at that law school; and
- The cumulative average for the work completed at the Creighton University School of Law would permit graduation with honors.
5.5 Non-class activities qualifying for academic credit pursuant to Rule 6.7 shall be graded "satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory".