Grading Systems:

    Grade points for each credit hour
A Outstanding 4.0
A- Outstanding 3.67
B+ Good 3.33
B Good 3.0
B- Good 2.67
C+ Satisfactory 2.33
C Satisfactory 2.0
C- Inferior, but passing 1.67
D Inferior, but passing 1.0
F Fail 0.0
UN Unsatisfactory work (failure)-no credit 0.0
I Work incomplete *
AU Audited course--no credit *
P Pass-credit *
NC No Credit *
NP Not pass-no credit *
SA Satisfactory Work *
W Official withdrawal from a course--no credit *

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory are used to report student performance in a course that does not permit regular grading. It is not an individual grading option as is P/NP, but applies to all students in the course. Credit earned with “SA” (Satisfactory) may be counted toward graduation but is not included in the grade-point average; however, “UN” (Unsatisfactory) functions as a failure in computing the grade-point average.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

A grade point average (GPA) is based only on work taken at Creighton University and is computed by dividing the total grade points earned by the total number of semester hours of credit attempted including hours for courses failed (unless repeated and passed) and excluding credit hours for courses graded AU, P, NP, SA, I, NC or W.

Grade Reports

Grades are made available to students each mid semester and at the end of each term via the student's N.E.S.T. account.

Grade Appeals

The instructor has jurisdiction in determining grades; however, the student has the right to appeal a grade that the student believes to be in error. The appeal process may involve the following steps (the issue may be resolved at any level):

  1. The student confers with the instructor involved.
  2. The student and instructor (preferably together) confer with the chairperson of the department.
  3. The student and instructor (preferably together) confer with the Dean of the College or School to which the department is attached.
  4. In rare cases, when the foregoing steps do not resolve the issue, the student may initiate a formal written appeal to the Dean. Normally, the Dean will forward such appeal to the appropriate committee for its review and recommendation. A formal appeal should not be entered upon lightly by a student, nor lightly dismissed by an instructor. A formal written grade appeal may be made no later than the sixth week of the following semester.

Note: Nursing students should consult the College of Nursing Handbook for that school’s appeal procedure.